Saturday, April 12, 2008

Repatriation - 1 step at a time

I just completed an important step in becoming an American again: I bought a car!

It's interesting, I've only been out of the country for two years. But, it was surprising how much I forgot about the car buying process, logistics of getting insurance and how much, the little things of taking care of a car. These are some of the things that are unique to life in America; or at least life outside of Hong Kong. Life as an expat in Hong Kong can be...too easy in some ways. You don't have a car to take care of, wash on a regular basis. Labor is cheap, so you pay people to wash your clothes, clean your house, drive you from point A to point B. It makes you a bit lazy in many ways. Although, I recognize that there were many unique chores and hardships to that lifestyle as well.

On to the next steps: 1) start my new job as Business Systems Analyst on Monday 2) Find and move into a new apartment! I'm strongly leaning towards West Seattle and have a couple places there I really like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! You're well on your way.

Anonymous said...

Nice wheels Nick and congrats on your new job! =)
I have never been outside of USA/Canada but from what you say it sounds like I'd fit in well. I don't think I've met anyone as lazy as me yet. And I don't remember the last time I washed my car. =)
Trav